Sunday, April 19, 2009

ALWAYS REMEMBER & NEVER FORGET!


Just another random picture! ;) Marci I think some one's cat is ready to come home. ;)

So why the title? Well today we mark 14 years since the Oklahoma City Bombing that took 168 lives, including 19 children in the worst US terrorist attack (before 9/11) in history. Tomorrow marks 10 years since the Columbine HS shooting where 2 shooters killed 12 students + 1 teacher before turning the guns on themselves.

14 years ago I was in 8th grade. I remember going home that day and seeing the news and being in shock. I remember the following day going to first period and our teacher telling us that he hadn't seen that large of print on the newspaper since the Vietnam War and Kennedy's Assination. The one thing everyone tends to remember is the picture of 1 year old Baylee Almon in the firefighter's arms, dying if not already dead. She had just celebrated her 1st birthday the day before. Her's and 18 other children had their life cut short by a disturbed man. The day they demolished the rest of the building, I wished so badly they would've put McVeigh on the first floor and let the building come down on him so he could see what it was like for those people. Its just sick that a human could do that. Its one thing to bomb a building when there are adults in it, but its a whole new thing when there are children involved. Still makes me mad today.

Everyone has heard of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold by now since all of the shootings that have took place since then. 10 years ago tomorrow they decided to make history themselves and kill 13 people in one of the worse school shootings in history. I was never the same after Columbine. My life was forever changed by this, by one phone call and reading one name off the computer screen. Its hard enough to believe I am marking 10 years since graduating from high school this summer, but this came first. Still remember never going back to the library after, ate in an inclosed hallway the day after....some one even threaten to finish what they began.

You'll never forget where you were on 9/11/01, and my list goes back to other events in time. I look at my 7 year old niece and she was born post 9/11 and this is all in her history books and one day she might ask me if I remember where I was when this all took place. I will have something to say, but like us learning about Kennedy being assinated, Pearl Harbor...etc we won't have the stories of Gaia's great-grandparents and grandparents for them to tell, but its stuff like that where we need to keep the memory alive so we never forget the victims.


Always Remember and Never Forget 4/19/95 & 4/20/99!

No comments: