Friday, April 11, 2008

Spring is here...along with the pollen!




Spring is here and everything is in bloom, but hell shoot me! We go through this period of time where the pine trees release this gross yellow stuff and its allergy hell for like 2-3 weeks around here. Not only that the cars are a nice shade of yellow! ITS ANNOYING! I hate this time of the year for that reason.

Oh my gosh not this weekend, but I believe the following marks 9 years since Columbine happened. Oh my gosh I still remember walking into the family room and turning on the TV and seeing the news on CNN about a shooting in Colorado. The worse thing they had heard about was some one having 8 gunshot woods and it was alarming. Even more so when they came and told the death toll. It was shocking to hear those numbers. That night, a friend of mine called me and had asked if I heard about the shootings. I was like yeah, its terrible! She then told me that she knew two people that went there, a brother and a sister. She said she didn't hear from either one of them and no one was answering the phone. I was like they are probably in shock and to give them a few days. I was online and she then asked me if they had names posted, and they did. One for the injured and one with the dead, she asked me to see if either was on the injured list and they weren't. I still remember her begging me to look at the dead list and I was like they aren't dead! After awhile I finally looked at the dead list and remember saying Dave Sanders and that he was a teacher, and then I read Rachel Scott, her friend. I was in shock! I could not believe what I had just read and it took me a second to realize I had told her that her friend was dead. She later found out that her brother, Craig, played dead in the library in two of his friends blood. To this day, 4/20 its hard to think past telling my friend that news and even more hearing the horror stories from a survivor.

I still can't process how anyone could fire off 60 shots and shoot 50-60 people like that guy at Va Tech did. You pray so hard after you have a personal experience (well in a sense) that it would never happen to another family, that they have to go through loosing their child to a total nut case, but that guy at VA Tech was a total nut case. The Illinois shooter's mother saw warning signs in her son, what I don't get is why she didn't try harder to stop what he did. Ugh! I say, if you hear anyone talk about it, even jokingly, to report it.

Anyways....I am out. :)

No comments: