Sunday, May 4, 2008

Where has the time gone?!

Ok I read something in the paper about the upcoming Olympic games and it made me think back to 4 years ago....well 8 depending how you may see this....


In the fall of 2000, I watched a good friend of mine compete at ITC in gymnastics and stumbled upon the new talent while watching it. A gymnast by the name of Terin Humphrey, who would go on to become a World Champion and 2-time Olympic Silver Medallist, was this tiny 14 year old girl who was amazing to watch.


I wrote the girls that were on that team a letter and heard back from each of them. (It included Marie Fjordholm, Terin Humphrey and Hollie Vise) It was Terin's letter that caught my attention the most and it was a letter that was to say write back. I wrote her back and it began a 4 year pen-pal friendship.


In 2003, Terin was named alternate for the World's team; and all though she was first alternate, she got bumped down to 2nd and my family and I had flown out to watch the competition, and got out there and learned that Terin was put on the team after Annia Hatch tore her ACL. I was ecstatic and didn't care what she competed on, but she competed her floor routine in finals and helped the US squad win its first ever World title.


The next thing around the corner was the Olympic games in Athens. Deep down I knew that Terin had a chance, but we had some of the greatest gymnast's going into Nationals and Trials and it was like one mistake could decide whether or not you go. Terin, I still remember, out of the competitions she competed in, she had one fall that I recalled and she was selected to go on to the camp.


The week of camp was so long. The announcement day couldn't have gotten here soon enough. I knew who the deadlocks were; Courtney Kupets & McCool and Carly Patterson. I was on the phone with my friend Amanda, and while Marta Karolyi was going on about Carly, the thought crossed my mind of Terin was going to be called next or she wasn't going to be called at all. I don't know why that came to mind, but before I could say it her name was called. It was instant tears and crying, I was so happy. I had told my mom before she left for England that if she got an e-mail from me that day it meant good news and if not that it was bad. HAH! It was a good news one! Terin went on to win 2 silver medals (team and uneven bars) at the Olympics.


Its hard to believe all of this has happened over the almost 8 years and its something I have never forgotten. I thought I post this before I forgot about it! ;)

No comments: