Friday, September 19, 2008

Its a small world after all....God works in mysterious ways...


Ok I decided to delete the original post and redo this....

When we moved to the middle of nowhere in NC 3 years ago, I never imagined I would be touched by September 11th in anyway than I already had been. But when we went looking for the Catholic church here in Pinehurst, when we went there we stumbled across a memorial for 2 (3 people are part of it now) people were part of it. One was in the WTC and the other was on United Flight 93.

I walked away and tried to remember at least one of the names and I did. Hah! I remembered her first name but I knew where she was on that day. I got home and searched 9/11 memorial pages on google and found http://www.legacy.com/ and found the 9/11 tributes and guestbooks. Well I searched under Flight 93 and knew Deora and it turns out it was Deora Bodley. I read what was on the site and saw she was 20 years old and it was amazing to see she was my age. After a little more research, I found that our birthdays were 10 days apart and it was even more touching there. So I went on the legacy guestbook and left a message and found her mom had left posts on there and so I decided to e-mail her.


I heard back from Deborah and conversed back and forth, and have been for 3 years. Of course I tried to touch base with her around 9/11 and I touched based when I was in Ohio and my friend and I walked through a park and it reminded me of the memorial at the church. Well that was the last time I really wrote to her in 2007 and wrote something after the anniversary. This year I went to send her an e-mail and it came back. So I went back on legacy and wrote a message there and left my e-mail so incase she remembered me, she could get back in touch.


So I wound up searching through her guestbook on legacy and found a more recent updated post from her mom and rather than waiting I sent a message through there and heard back from her the following day. To my amazement she moved to this area and lives about 5 miles from me. She asked if we could meet at the memorial at church this weekend, but my mom is going out of town and my dad wouldn't go and I gave her my phone #'s and said to get in touch with me.

We got in touch and planned to get together and meet one another. Tonight my parents were gone and for the life of me, I couldn't remember what days she be free this week and I called to see and then just wanted to see if she was free tonight and wanted to get together and it worked out. :)


It almost didn't work-out because a stray dog was hanging out at her house and she was going to take the dog to the Humane Society, but the dog ran-off and so it was back on. Given my since of DIRECTION, at least my street is easy to get to here, or I would be screwed! So she found her way here, and we left and headed to dinner. The Chinese place here wasn't all that great, I couldn't remember where the stupid Italian place in Seven Lakes was, and I was like if we go into town I can find places there! HAH!

So we wound up going to Ruby Tuesday's for dinner. We just talked about various things and I felt so bad for bringing up Deora and 9/11, but curiousity was coming out of me. She spoke at Kent State in Ohio before the anniversay this year and I was like if you speak at Ohio State you will have to let me know. ;) I told her where I grew up in Ohio, I graduated the same year as Deora...and I felt so bad on the way home saying that this coming year would mark 10 years since graduation and 20 years since I met my good friend Annie, and I slapped myself for saying that. I kept thinking I was saying the wrong things, I felt like I was doing that the whole night! So we ate dinner and I felt bad again for her paying for it and I was like lets go for dessert or something and I will pay for that. I am definitely picking up the next bill, next time we go out to dinner or paying for the gas, something! So we had ice cream at Artic Creamery and headed back here after that.


It was funny, I was talking to my mom about all of this and Deborah called and said that the dog was back and she brought her in for the night. She's going to take her to the Humane Society tomorrow....hey anyone in Foxfire Village missing a black lab, I may know where she is! ;) Times like this I wish we were wanting a big dog to be outside, cause I really miss our labs.


To end this....I never imagined this would happen to me, or I would be touch by 9/11 in this matter. I personally believe with my whole heart Deora and the other passenger's and crew stopped the plane from hitting its target in Washington DC and thank you doesn't seem enough. I am proud to say I donated $100 to the 93 memorial and feel honored to have this chance to meet a family member of one the heroes of 9/11. Please help the memorial become complete and donate to the Flight 93 National Memorial. Go to http://www.honorflight93.org/ to learn how to donate and see the design.


Thanks for reading and Thanks Deborah for meeting me. :)

1 comment:

Marci said...

It's a blessing you met Deborah :)