Friday, September 18, 2009

The innocence of the day....


This is one of my latest projects. My mom's friend and I figured out how to make figure 8's in knitting and I finally got the hang of it. This was just practice, I'm making the real thing right now. But was so proud of myself. :o)

I have realized the innocence that is in my 7 year old niece. As to why this is, please read on...

September 11th, 2001 forever changed so many people's lives. But back before 9/11/01, when I was growing up, September 11th was my brother's birthday. We use to joke about how his birthday was 9-1-1 like the emergency number you call. (back then Recue 911 was a popular show on TV) And on that day, I woke up and knew it was my brother's 25th birthday, before I saw what was going on TV that day.


The past 2 years, Gaia has reminded me of the innocence in a child's mind. She only knows that day as her daddy's birthday and it makes me think about how soon enough she will learn the horrors and tragedies of happened to our country that morning. I know one day she will come home from school and ask her mommy and daddy about, becaus she'll eventually learn about it in school.


This all came to mind when I was told that she made a 12 page card for her daddy for a birthday card of all the things she likes to do with him. Its just amazing to me the way she thinks and how she sees things.


I love this little girl with all of my heart. Even though she gets on my nerves sometimes, I love her all the same.


I just wanted to share...

1 comment:

Marci said...

Cort... what a touching post!